23 Things banner

23 Things banner

Thursday, 5 August 2010

Thing 18 - All about Zotero

Well the first thing I learnt is that this thing is actually pronounced zo-tair-o and not zo-teer-o.

The second thing I noticed is that Cam23things was top of the 'New groups':



Then I created an account and tested it out. I love how straightforward and easy it is to add articles to my Zotero library. By clicking on the folder icon in the address bar of the browser, a list of all articles on the page popped up so it was a simple matter of checking tickboxes. Done!

Exploring the library that I just created brought even more delights. The 'view' button takes you straight to the full text where we have subscribed. I was impressed that clicking 'locate' directs you to the eresources@cambridge full text locator. The facility to add notes and tags is very useful, as is the facility to create collections for different topics.

For me, the best thing about Zotero is the ability to add citations and create bibliographies in Word. I find it more user-friendly than Endnote or RefWorks as there are no connection files or filter files to worry about, and it is so much quicker than doing them manually. I was able to choose the citation style that I wanted, and found it looked exactly like I expected it to, which is always a bonus!

Now that I'm familiar with the UL library toolbox and Computing Service and Medical Library documentation, I feel I could help readers with Zotero problems/queries or at least know where to point them for more help - thank you Cam23! It's nice to see that libraries are supporting and recommending Zotero.

If I was currently undertaking study or research I would definately be using Zotero, and I would recommend it to Cambridge students. After all, there are Cam23ers throughout Cambridge libraries who know what it's all about now!

No comments:

Post a Comment